As a follow – up to the enlightening sessions we have had for our parents on 22nd – 23rd July 2016, we bring to you the reminder – ‘BE ALERT; STAY ALERT’ with regard to our children’s safety. We at St.Columban’s are committed to safeguarding the dignity and rights of all children, and so wehave adopted the following principles:
- ✦ Children have an inherent right to dignity of life and bodily integrity which shall be respected, nurtured and protected by all.
- ✦ Children have an inalienable right to safety and care and to an environment free from abuse and neglect.
- ✦ Children have a right to be listened to and be heard, and to be involved, as appropriate in decisions affecting them.
- ✦ Those who have suffered abuse should be enabled to disclose this to a trusted person, in the expectation of a sensitive, caring and compassionate response.
- ✦ Children have a right to good role models whom they can trust, who will respect them and nurture their spiritual, physical and emotional development.
- ✦ All adults have a duty to report allegations or suspicions of child abuse, where reasonable grounds for concern exist, irrespective of the status of the person suspected or their relationship to them or to the child.
- ✦ Actions taken to protect a child should not cause the child undue distress. Every action and procedure should consider the overall needs of the child.Preventing Child Abuse